European Passport – Rights and Benefits
A European passport is issued to citizens of the EU Member countries.
Lithuania has been a member of the European Union since 2004 and since then its citizens are also EU citizens. Accordingly, they are entitled to issue a Lithuanian passport which is a European passport for all intents and purposes and thus enjoy the many and significant rights granted by such a passport, including:
- Live, reside and move freely between EU countries
- Work in EU countries.
- Study in academic education institutions in EU countries, in some cases without cost or reduced / subsidized cost.
- Various rights and eases in establishing and managing business and real estate in the EU countries.
- Visa exemption for the United States, since Lithuania is included within the American ESTA program, subject to its terms:
- The right to enter other countries, some without the need for a visa, in accordance with diplomatic agreements that exist between them and Lithuania. A link to the Lithuanian passport index rating and the countries you may enter with it:
- Voting and get elected to EU institutions.
It should be noted that some of the above rights are subject to various conditions, which may vary in each country.
For more information regarding the rights of EU citizens, please visit:
The foregoing is provided as general information only and does not constitute advice, recommendation, legal advice or substitute for an individual legal advice.
It is emphasized that the exclusive discretion to grant Lithuanian citizenship and European passport is dedicated only to the Lithuanian authorities.